Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Dinner

LK was asking why I don't blog so often anymore. Having no real answer ready, I did what I have learned from watching Fox News. I got angry and annoyed and tried to make her feel guilty for asking the question. Since she is a CNN person, that unfortunately didn't work.

So I figured I would ask the world's greatest company if they had any ideas. Microsoft, not surprisingly, came up with a quick reply when I turned on Messenger on my iPod.



I'm not sure I agree with Microsoft on this, but I am hard pressed to think of a proper rebuttal.

Oh wait, that changed last night. When I asked my bride, "Yo, LK, what's for dinner?" she surprised me by answering slow braised short ribs. She had found what she thought would be a great recipe online and wanted to try it.

It involved soaking the ribs in turkey brine mixture for six hours and then slow roasting them for another six hours. The sauce they cook in requires a full bottle of cabernet sauvignon, While I am willing to send one of my soldiers on such a mission, I hoped the sacrifice would be worth it.

It was.

In fact, it was one of the most delicious dishes I can remember eating. I was raving with my mouth full (and I suspect, thick, dark gravy dripping into my beard) during the whole meal. The meat was tender and full of flavor. The gravy was rich and almost decadent. So good.

LK was typically modest. "I was just following a recipe," she said, as if any cook in the world would have the same result. I had to remind her that while making it, she hadn't liked the original taste of the sauce and decided to add a couple spoons of chili honey. And later she felt it needed a bit more something, so she chopped up some fresh mint and threw it in.

Not quite opening a jar of Ragu and boiling spaghetti, and hardly anyone I know would think adding chili honey and mint to a first time recipe is "just following" it. Anyhow, it was 5-star yummy.

That was something new. And by golly, here's a post about it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds delish, Would you please ask Linda to send me the recipe. Hope all is well. David and I are going to Florida next week. We'll talk when we get back. Love you both. S