Tuesday, October 25, 2011

In My Room


Just so you know, this is what I look at now every time I pee. The window sill in the loo used to be home to a couple of starfish and a crystal boat, but now it's proudly presenting a golliwog holding a duck next to a chook (sitting on blocks spelling its name in case you didn't know what it is.)

Having stood in front of them quite often, I can tell you the three of them are all quite different. The chook, for example, never ever ever looks you in the eye. There are few rules I live by any more, but one of them is that you should look someone in the eye. I think this rule is especially important if you're a chicken.

The duck, on the other hand, is just the opposite. He has no white around his pupils and his dull, dark eyes just stare at you continually. He is, by far, the most initmidating duck I have ever known. (And yes, you would be right in assuming I haven't known any other ducks. But just try to stay with me on this.)

The golliwog, of course, is horribly politically incorrect. Not that it's his fault. But the dilemma we face - now that we own him - is that to not include him means that we are creating an all fowl display and not permitting him his place. So he's there. LK had the duck next to him, but I thought it would make matters more amenable if the duck sat in his lap, so that's how they stay now. And yes, the duck is much less intimidating sitting in the golliwog's lap.

Oh, by the way, these are all johnnies-come-lately. This beautiful elephant has been the light of the night in the loo for many months before these latest interlopers arrived. Truth be told, I don't even know if the elephant likes its new neighbors. I am pretty sure she doesn't like the duck.

But then again, nobody likes the duck.

Today LK nagged me that I haven't blogged lately. I told her to stop nagging, that I have been trying to think of something to write about and was coming up blanks. I told my Dad this, and his solution was elegant in his simplicity. "Just make something up. You used to,"

But then I was peeing and looking, once again, at the chook, the duck and the golliwog, and I thought: "I have a post." But it need not stop there.

Not to nag the four young men who could have a say in resolving this, but were I to have another very young grandchild, say two or three years old, I might even write the story of the chook, the duck and the golliwog. And how the beautiful elephant saved them all one day,

No comments: