Saturday, November 15, 2008

(Many) Spanish Steps

No post yesterday because we were both exhausted by the time we got back to our hotel room last night. Sent ourselves to bed early and with no supper.

That's because we started the day out doing the last minute stuff to get off the ship here in Barcelona. That was at 8, so when we went to our hotel we had to wait a couple of hours before the room was ready.

Got in just long enough to drop off our bags and then jumped aboard the shuttle into Barcelona where we took advantage of my improved legs and walked all over the place. I don't have my little step counting device, but I am pretty sure I walked more yesterday than I have since I got lost a few weeks ago.

Barcelona is my favorite city in Europe. It is just such a unqiue city - very sophisticated, bustling city centre, classic old buildings on one corner and on the next the unexpected Gaudi-style building with their bulges and curves and fairy-tale charm. Everyone seems so well-dressed - even those doing jeans are fashionable. Linda thinks the Spanish are the best dressed people in the world. (I, needless to say, stuck out like a pair of trakkie-daks at a formal dinner.)

And on this Friday afternoon we walked down to the waterfront and sat outside at a seafood restaurant. This place and its competitors all filled up pretty quickly, and it became obvious that sunny Friday afternoons are probably an optional work day for many people here - so in that way it reminded me of Sydney.

The hotel we are staying at is absolutely stunning. It is set up on a mountain above the city, and the views are phenomenal. Our taxi driver spoke no English, but he communicated quite well and quite excitedly when we told him we were going to Gran Hotel la Florida. "Montana!" he said. "Panarama magnifico!" When we came into sight of it, he pointed excitedly. "Florida! Magnifico!"

He was right, and you can see a couple of the shots from our room at the beginning of these pictures.

Can't write much more. We must get out of here in a few minutes and head to the airport to begin our long journey home. It's been fantastic, and I will get Linda to join me in thinking about the highlights in a future post.

Till then, "Hasta la vista."

No comments: