Thursday, February 19, 2009

Day Lily

One of the great things about not working is that I have had more time with the most perfect girl in the world.

When her mother has to work until six, she often asks me to pick up Lily from school. I like these afternoons when she and I get to spend some time alone together. The last couple of times, though, Lily has acted like a six-and-a-half-year old kid who has been cooped up at school all day and needs to release all that pent-up energy. I, of course, have acted like a 60-and-a-half-year old with the fitness level of a 71-year-old.

By the time Rachael picked her up, I needed a drink. Oh, come to think of it, that's true on the days when Lily isn't here, also. Thankfully, Lily was a lot quieter this week.

After I picked her up, I had had to fill up the car. I let her buy a snack at the service station. I am not sure, but it is just possible that eating almost an entire bag of Cheetos may have a tranquilizing effect on young kids. Or perhaps she was just tired. In any case, she was quite happy to drink a glass of chocolate milk and watch TV.

(And I know that is not the nutrition you should be giving a kid, but every once in a while a grandparent can get away with it. )

When we turned on the TV, they were just starting "Honey, I Blew Up the Kid". I had never seen this movie from 1992, but I knew it was from Disney so how bad could it be. Actually, we found out. About an hour into the film and Lily asked, "Is this movie for kids?" That must be one of the most damning criticisms I've heard, but I fully understood why she was asking.

But this post isn't about doing a review of a 17-year-old movie. It's about the fact that during the movie Lily moved on over to my lap and sat there while we finished watching it. I know I am a big sook when it comes to Lil, but there really aren't any nicer moments than when my favorite little girl in the world resting her head on my shoulder.

She's only a few months short of seven, so I know it will stop all too soon, but for now she likes a cuddle and I am only too happy to be her big teddy bear. And that's one of the best benefits of retirement that you won't see in any planning literature.

No comments: