Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Winter Starts

Oh the weather outside is frightful,
But the fire is so delightful,
And since we've no place to go,
Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!

Lyrics by Sammy Cahn




Assuming this technology works, this video is a brief work by the artist formerly known as Linda. I asked her to use her brand new Flip to make a brief video showing the winter weather that attacked us last night.

When our train arrived in Rutland 15 minutes early, it didn't seem like a big deal to just wait outside the station until Bob and Deb showed up to pick us up. That was until we stood out there and I realized that the temperature was 18 (that's Fahrenheit, about -7.8C for my Aussie pals). I think I toughed it out about 30 seconds before I pulled out the mobile and rang for them to come as soon as possible.

Over night a couple of inches of snow landed, and they cancelled school this morning. Throughout the morning a light snow continued to fall, but the hellacious part of the day was the howling winds that gusted up to 45 miles per hour (72kM/hr - and pretty soon folks are going to have to figure these conversions out for themselves.)

I haven't dealt with a car covered with snow and ice for 20+ years, but memories came flooding back as I swept and scraped the car. By the time I could see through the windows, I had cold toes and very cold fingers. Not turn-black-and-fall-off-your-hand cold fingers, but pretty chilly for a guy who's been used to wearing shorts and t-shirts in December.

The short drive to my parents turned out to be easy, but I worried lots before heading out since I haven't driven in snow and ice for nearly a quarter century. Isn't it like riding a bike? asked LK. When I pointed out to her that I tend to fall off bicycles, she seemed to begin to understand my concern.

Anyhow, the snow has stopped even though the wind is still whipping the bare trees and knocking over Christmas decorations. With nightfall, there may be a bit of ice on the road on the way back to Bob and Deb's later on, but by and large it should be a safe enough trip if I take my time and pay attention.

The good news is that winter is going to go easy on us for the next few days, which will enable us to drive back to Peg's without battling the notorious central New York blizzards I remember from when we lived there. Once in Pittsford, we can keep the car parked if the roads aren't good.

Anyhow, we haven't really experienced winter in a couple of decades, so it is good that it has happened today. Good in the sense that I am pretty sure we have learned not to come back for a visit at this time of year again. Spring, summer and autumn will do just fine, thanks.

No comments: