Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Welcome to Oregon

It is a short drive from Crescent City, California, to Gold Beach, Oregon. It was the first time I had been in Oregon, and all I could recall were that their sports teams are called Ducks and Beavers and Trailblazers. You know, lots of water and not much development.

I was pretty sure I was overstating the case, because I had some vague memories that Oregon was actually a pretty cool place to live. But crossing the border this morning did not do much to change my first impression. It was rainy, foggy, and cold.

That, of course, did not stop us from visiting a few spots of this majestic, rugged coastline. But we didn't stay long, and we couldn't see much from far away since the clouds decided to get between us and the sights.

Once we got to Gold Beach, we did discover a lovely little bistro with local boutique beers on tap. After that, and in preparation for a jetboat river adventure tomorrow morning, LK decided I would need to rug up and had to buy a sweatshirt. So we went to the gift shop for the jetboat company. I picked out a sweatshirt and asked her what she thought. She unfolded it and said, "Donald, this one is for a very fat person." I guess love is blind, because she seemed somewhat surprised when I tried it on and it fit perfectly.

I think it also says something about my bride's habits that I walked out with my sweatshirt and a windbreaker for tomorrow, whereas she - who had not needed anything for tomorrow - walked out with a sweatshirt and a lovely waterproof jacket.

Obviously, not a lot happened today, but I did take a quick video at one of our stops. Here it is, and there should be some fun stuff after our river adventure tomorrow.

No comments: