Tuesday, August 19, 2008

T - 43: The Speaker of the House

What was I thinking?

I mean, I know full well that I am HORRIBLE at doing things like installing speakers to the TV.

I know this because I have a history of, to be nice to myself, slight errors. I have drilled unnecessary holes in bookcases and in the floor (Linda didn't even see the humor in that one), stripped the wrong wires bare, forced plugs into incompatible holes that were just waiting to break the prongs. Well, OK, I will stop beating myself up.

Except today I decided to switch over my speakers to a newer, digital system. I did it today because Linda had to host a day-long conference, and I knew it was critical not to have her in the house. (The picture here was taken to prove that point. I mean, there is no way that she would have been able to calmly watch this happening. Believe me.)

Anyhow, I started by pulling all the wires out of the old system. I then removed lots of bits we don't use anymore. (Who would think CDs would become passe so fast?) I ended up with bits all over the floor and tables, but when I went to put the new, streamlined speaker system in I was faced with a problem.

I had about 10 connectors dangling from various places and only four slots to put them in. Earlier in my life, I would have panicked, but I had planned this well. I knew Linda wouldn't be home for another 8 hours, so I took my time and did something I don't believe I have ever done before. I acted deliberately and methodically.

It was a strange feeling to act that way. The fact that it worked - and fairly quickly - may however be pure coincidence. Nonetheless, I am thinking of trying it the next time I make a mess out of something most people find simple.

Many years ago, I thought it would be cool to get a chain saw and use it clear some tree limbs. Linda laughed quite hard, but when she realized I was serious, she put her foot down more firmly than she usually does and threatened dire consequences unless I got that idea out of my head. Later that week I was talking to my mother and complained about it. Her very fast response was, "Oh God, listen to your wife on this one."

But after today I am thinking that just maybe - with a few more successes like today's speakers - I may be looking at power tools in my life some time soon.

PS And yes, I wrote to Jamie.

No comments: