Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Venice It Going to End?


We arrived at Venice in, shall we say, a way we had not planned when we set out this morning. Linda says everyone needs to have a train story to tell, and I guess this is the story we now have to tell.

Ordinarily I would be recounting our misadventure in the blog, but something even more interesting happened when we finally did get to Venice. We boarded this boat with our luggage to take us to our hotel, and halfway there Linda said to me - obviously forgetting I was her husband - "Isn't the guy driving the boat the most gorgeous man you've ever seen?"

I post the picture above to let you decide, but suffice it to say that the vote was tied by the time we got to the hotel.

I am somewhat used to this. Linda doesn't fall for too many types (or at least not so overtly that she lets me know) but she does have an incredibly soft spot for Italians. Her first heartthrob - at least in my time with her - was Frank Langella, especially after he had just done Dracula as the sort of guy who most women wouldn't mind sucking their necks.

Then the serious hots set in with Dennis Farina. He was in Cop Story and quite a few movies, and every time he was on screen Linda went, shall we say, just a little bit girly. Then he got the lead role on Law and Order when Jerry Orbach died. He was horrible and the show went south, but Linda never noticed. Although I think even she thought he was wearing thin as she kept commenting primarily on his cashmere coat and scarves.

But now it's the guy driving us to the hotel. When will it end?

God - we're in Italy for more than a week. How can I compete? Somehow I just don't think making her laugh and giving her great back rubs can compete with whatever it is that drives this lady of mine completely round the bend when she sees these Italian specimens.

More on Venice and the trip here tomorrow. For now, I need to think. Buena notte.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Since you have retired, I'm loving the blogs even more, thanks so much for the daily insights in your lives. I vote that yes he was gorgeous. Love to both of you, Sandy