Wednesday, October 8, 2008

What We Have Is a Failure to Communicate

I am not posting today. Everything I have started to write has turned out to be blah-blah-blah, and I am out of ideas.

I tried writing about my good timing in retiring on the same day that the retirement funds of the world have come under threat from the global economic meltdown. The more I thought about it, the less I could see the funny side.

I watched the US presidential debate, thinking I might write about that. Halfway through I was ready to scream. I can't take it anymore. I cannot listen to Obama. I cannot listen to McCain. I have heard both of them say the same things so often that I would actually prefer to be stuck on a cross-country bus trip behind two 13-year-old girls who talk non-stop about the cool things the hot boys in their school said to them, why Angelina doesn't deserve Brad, and the next big color in nail polish. Anything but more McCain and Obama.

Sarah Palin made an idiotic charge that Barack Obama was "palling" with Bill Ayres, a violence-prone anti war guy in the 60's now called a "domestic terrorist". I thought of writing how stupid the woman is, but realized the world doesn't need one more of those essays. I thought of writing of my own brush with the anti-Vietnam War radicals (Benjamin Spock and Philip Beringer) back when there was a Vietnam War to be anti, but remembered I didn't have much more to say other than I met them.

That led me to think of writing about how some of us had organized an anti-war movement in the Catholic seminary I was in in 1967. The punchline is that it was the priests who were the biggest supporters of the Vietnam War, obviously feeling it was up to the North Vietnamese to turn the other cheek first. You can draw your own conclusions about that, but there really wasn't much more to tell.

I thought of writing about things that go bump in the night (that would be Qantas flights).

I considered writing about how happy I am that I am not running the company in this terrible economic year, but then I remembered that Davy reads this and I don't want to get him too depressed in his first week on the job.

So there you have it. Zilch. Squadoosh. Nada. Writer's block. You can't say I didn't try. But no post today. I will try again tomorrow. I am working on a piece about how Linda complains that I don't turn off the taps. Now if I can only think of something else to say about that.

No comments: