Thursday, March 12, 2009

Don of a New Era


I was named after two of the gentlest, nicest men ever. My uncle Don Kennedy and my grandfather Ken Kellogg were both wonderful people, and I appreciate that my name is in fact a legacy of some great people in my family.

It also means that from the earliest age I knew I wasn't the only Don Kennedy around. But this week I did a little research (that's 21st century speak for googling), and I am discovering that there is a tribe of Don Kennedys out there, and lots of us are blogging. Either that or there are two of us and one of us is having trouble writing stuff for a blog about retirement while the other one is contributing dozens of posts a day on a variety of topics.

Let's start with Don Kennedy's retired blog that he wrote for Organizing for America, the site that promoted Barack Obama's election last year. Don specialized in handling right-wing attacks on his candidate. Although the election is over, I suspect his task has only just begun.

Don Kennedy does a developer blog for Skype, and he states his goal is to share his knowledge of Skype so others will develop applications for the communication service.

Don Kennedy writes an interesting blog in which he reviews movies while promoting Vancouver properties, which he sells in his day job. I suspect he is also the Don Kennedy who shares writing in "The Victoria Buffet Blog", which not surprisingly reviews the various restaurants offering buffets in Victoria.

Faithless Don Kennedy has posted a blog or two on the NYC Atheists blog, although it wouldn't hurt if Don were to use his Shift key once in a while. Don Kennedy also piped up in a blog discussion about a proposal to ban horse-drawn carriages. In it, he suggested that people who put horses in front of carriages had better hope that God not recall this on judgment day. Which would say to me that either atheist Don is nuts or there are a couple of them out there.

Don Kennedy also runs a website devoted to helping people break their bad habits, especially smoking. This is more of a sales pitch than a blog, but Don is quite strong in urging retired people to exercise more. I think he's selling a book; I would recommend a Wii.

There is a creative side to Don Kennedy. Take, for example, his regular contributions to the social network devoted to 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Don Kennedy also has time to contribute regularly to the site where people show off their LEGO creations. In fact, that is a picture of Don's Legend of Zelda Custom Minifig at the top of this post.

If you prefer photography, Don Kennedy's pictures are at Flickr, and they are actually quite good. You can also check out Don Kennedy's video entry in the CamoSun competition, but I must tell you that a video of an overweight guy trying to drink from a water fountain and then picking blackberries and playing basketball was a little too experimental for me.

Don Kennedy also has numerous posts at "NitroMater.com - Where the Internet Meets Nitromethane." (That's drag racing, to most of us.)

And on the subject of speed, you may want to check out the video of a good-looking mare at Mefeedia. As the description explains: "This fantastically moving mare is sired by the young stallion Don Kennedy. Don Kennedy was Champion of the Oldenburger stalliontest 2003."

Funny. I don't even remember going to the Oldenburger stalliontest that year, but then I was very busy back then.

1 comment:

dk said...

Don Kennedy the realtor is in fact a different Don Kennedy than that of the Victoria Burger Blog and the Victoria Buffet Blog. I'm the Don Kennedy that does the Burger Blog and the Buffet Blog. Just a student, although surprisingly enough both myself and the realtor seem to have interest and experience in radio.