Friday, March 6, 2009

Old Friends

What a great day yesterday was. I caught up with my friend Bob from New Zealand for the first time in years. It was fun to see him again, but the best part of the day was to discover that the business he and some friends had started was doing fantastically well despite the gloom of the economy that is hurting so many other businesses.

He was nice enough to take me to lunch and let me choose the restaurant. There was really only one place to pick. Lacking an expense account, I hadn't been to Lee's Fortuna Court in months. As most of the people reading this would know, Lee's has been my favorite spot for lunch for much of the past 20 years.

So not only did I catch up with Bob, but also with Stan and the staff at the restaurant. Stan told me business had been holding up well this year. I was relieved since more than a few people had wondered if the restaurant would go out of business once I stopped going there. I believe they were only half joking.

Then last night, even more catching up with old pals. My friend John had flown in from the US and we had him over for dinner and asked Davy along, too. There is nothing better than having old friends, old wines and LK's cooking while we're sitting on the deck on a summer's evening. I am not sure the tokay that Davy brought was necessary (or even a good idea) at the end of this meal, and I almost certain it wasn't such a good idea to go out to the bar fridge after the tokay for one more bottle of red. On the plus side, I think we all probably slept quite soundly once we got to bed last night.

As much as I enjoy having friends over for dinner, I have had to learn that I am strictly the supporting act in this production. Linda really does make wonderful food and deserves the compliments she inevitably earns. Perfect meat! Great potatoes! Fantastic dessert! Wonderful meal!

I do not begrudge her these compliments. Hey, I am often the one saying them. LK is indeed the chief cook. And, yes, I am the bottle washer. I just wish that once in a while my supporting role in the great dinner party could earn some praise. I dream of hearing: "Hey, these chairs are really wiped down well! This tablecloth covers the whole table brilliantly! The forks and knives are on the correct sides of the plates!"

And a little applause would have been much appreciated this morning when I, feeling a wee bit the worse for wear, tackled a kitchen whose every inch of counter space was covered with piles of dirty dishes and pans and empty wine bottles and some gelatinous things I couldn't identify.

But I am a realist. No matter how great the dining experience has been, no one is ever going to say, "You have done a masterful job filling the dishwasher! Your stove top sparkles! You've filled the recycling bin like a professional!"

But it doesn't matter. I am happy to toil out of the spotlight if it means I get to sit around with old friends and eat a great meal.

No comments: