Monday, December 15, 2008

The Trend Setter

Fashion! turn to the left
Fashion! turn to the right
Oooh, fashion!
We are the goon squad and we're coming to town
Beep-beep
Beep-beep

David Bowie, Fashion


I realize many in the fashion industry no longer consider Michael Jackson to be a trend setter, but once in a while one of his outfits really gets my attention. That was certainly the case when I saw this picture at the UK's Mail Online website (which has lots more photos here).

Without commenting on Michael's personal eccentricities or even his legal and financial history, I can say with certainty that with this one picture the King of Pop has validated one of my post-retirement fashion choices. And knowing one of the world's greatest former stars shares the same taste as I do makes me proud.

I am referring, of course, to his footwear. For most days lately - and I do mean most - I am either barefoot or my feet can be found wrapped in a pair of clogs. I first started wearing them when we travelled because it was so much easier to slide into and out of them when going through airport security. But now they have become my standard shoe, except when I am going for my walk.

My entire retirement costume is pretty predictable, I guess. Shorts, t-shirt and clogs. That's it. When Linda was doing laundry yesterday, she put a small pile of T's and shorts on the table and said, "Here's your clothes for the week." She was right.

But it is really the clogs that finish it off. LK often tells me I am going out in public wearing slippers, but everyone knows Timberland doesn't make slippers. I had assumed she was just teasing me about my fashion sense. But I now see that this is a fairly common mistake, for even the supposedly hip Mail Online writer Simon Cable wrote about Jacko, "However, his lower half was not quite in keeping with the (Zorro) theme. Instead of a cape and boots, he opted for slippers and a bright blue tunic."

I need to add that I do vary my wardrobe based on the circumstances. If I am going to a restaurant to have lunch with a friend, I will put on a polo shirt and chinos. But now that Jacko has shown me just how creative you can be when you start with a good pair of clogs on your feet, I am also going to look into masks, hats, veils and tunics. Just because I am retired doesn't mean I have to forsake fashion altogether.

No comments: