Thursday, April 30, 2009

The Merry Month of May

The celebration season starts tomorrow, and I for one am stoked about it. For some reason our family is just full of special days over the next ten weeks. May starts and almost ends with dual birthdays. Tomorrow my son Ben turns 40 and our dear friend Shirley turns something else.

I have never been too fussed about my age. In fact for everyone who has told me that I am younger than I look, there's another person who says, "I would have never guessed you were that old." I choose to take it as a compliment. But to have my firstborn turn 40. Somehow that really makes me feel 0ld, but, as my mother said the other day, "You think you feel old having a kid turn 40, how would you feel having a grandson turn 40?" She makes a good point.

Anyhow, the merry month will continue with Mothers Day, of course, and this year Jason and Laura are getting married in the last week of the month. And on the 30th my mother celebrates her birthday, along with Brenda, who was my best friend before I even went to school and is still like an adopted daughter to my folks.

Then June sets in with a frenzy. Linda starts the first week out by retiring, and ends it by celebrating her birthday. Somewhere in there we also have the Queens Birthday holiday, which is not the queen's actual birthday and further proof that Aussies can make a holiday out of just about anything.

The middle of the month sees Tom's birthday, my birthday and then on the 25th Lily turns 7. That will be officially named The Princess's Birthday, and I am going to try to start a movement to make that a holiday, as well. In the US, June is also the month for Fathers Day (it's later out here). But since that's where my father is, I guess that's the one we celebrate.

Our 25th anniversary follows a couple of weeks after that. (And all of you who bet me we couldn't do it back in 1984 should prepare to pay out. I remember each of you and the amounts you wagered.) Matt's birthday is a week later and then, exhausted from all the celebrations we will board a plane to begin our fantastic See the USA trip.

But before Matt's birthday comes one of the great celebration days - Peg's 90th birthday. We won't get to the US in time to celebrate it, but we plan to make up for it when we get to Rochester.

So there you have it. Ten weeks of celebrations followed by ten weeks of travel. At least I shouldn't run out of blog topics for a while. Let the parties begin.

And finally, LK is pretty sure I have left Jordan's birthday out. Sandy, a little help there please.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

May 12