Thursday, April 9, 2009

Tools of the Trade




I am not quite sure how I have ended up writing so much about tools in my retirement. About the only time I even thought of them until this year was usually when someone called me a "tool", but I don't think they meant in the handyman sense.

Now my friend Robert is sending me pictures of his tools, obviously trying to let me know he is the alpha tool guy in this relationship. He suggested that I would probably do a lot better fixing the toaster if I were to get the proper tool. But if you look at his tool boxes, it's clear to me that what starts out as getting this or that tool for a project probably ends up with a massive collection of stuff that I still would have no idea how to use.

Anyhow, Robert wrote:

I see how a great mechanic always uses the proper tool for the job at hand. I noticed in one of your blogs that you did not want to go to the hardware store for more tools. Well a guy cannot have enough tools, see attached pictures. I have wrenches in one box that are inch sizes left and metric on right. Take the toaster to the hardware store and get the right tools for the job.
Then you won't hurt your self soooo bad.
The other option is for LK to have a person from USA to come fix her toaster that doesn't mind going to the hardware store to buy tools. I just happen to know someone who would be available in a few months.
And with that e-mail, Robert has given me a brilliant idea. We will start a tradition where people can come to visit us, but they have to fix something while they're here. Because - and I bet you're not going to be surprised by this - there's lots of things around here that need fixing. And many don't even require tools, just things like balance and dexterity.

For example, we haven't had an overhead light in our bedroom for about two years. It's not that it's hard to replace the bulb. What's difficult is that the light is directly over the bed, so to change the bulb you have to stand on the bed (also known as the "very high bed") while you do it.

Needless to say, standing on a mattress poses its own sort of challenges for someone with my dexterity and balance. Well, let's just say the last time I tried to change the bulb I was lucky I landed on the bed. If I had gone in the other direction, I suspect parts of me would have been in pretty bad shape for quite a while.

And let's add that I was also lucky the bed had metal supports bolted to the frame. I doubt that wooden slats would have survived me bouncing on them from a (more or less) standing position.

There are actually lots of little things like that which need to be done around here. And it's becoming more and more obvious to me that I am not the person to do them. So I like the idea of having friends visit and all they have to do is fix a toaster or replace a light bulb for me. And the tradeoff will be that when I visit them I promise not to try to fix anything at their place.

No comments: