Monday, May 25, 2009

Post-It Notes

Haven't had much blogging stuff rattling around my brain lately, but Sandy asked LK about it and suddenly the rumblings from my (very small) fan club made me feel stressed about the need to add an entry. And as my WiiFit keeps pointing out, stress is bad for my posture. (I am taking its word for that, by the way, because I can't figure out the connection myself.)

This picture is for all of you living in the northeast and Canada who are used to seeing poinsettias in little pots around Christmas.

I have lived here more than 20 years, but I am still not used to seeing these large shrubs towering way over my head. Saw this on my walk today and thought it also shows how pretty Sydney is even as we are only days away from winter.

So there. You can be pretty sure that I haven't got much to blog about when I take pictures of plants with my phone camera and figure out how to write several paragraphs so the text wraps around it.

Fortunately, I was able to stretch the text out long enough that I didn't have to tell you that the plants were named after Joel Poinsett, the first US ambassador to Mexico, who introduced them to the US back when plants from Mexico were brought into the US because they were pretty and not for their, er, medicinal benefits. I say "fortunate" because googling the history of a plant in order to post a blog would surely be a sign that in just nine months this thing has pretty much sucked me dry of most ideas.

Anyhow, this week marks LK's last week of work (more or less), I am getting serious about tackling the work project I have taken on, Jason and Laura are getting married at a bowling alley, I am having lunch with Linton at a Greek restaurant, I am going back to the old company for drinks and we are having dinner with our best friend. I am guessing there will be enough material for a few more posts.

If not, there are more impressive plants I can take pictures of.

No comments: