Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Rainy Day Blues

OAPs. You start hearing about them when you reach your 50s, but by the time you've started coping with the fact that you really are more than 60-years-old, you definitely understand OAPs -- Old Age Pains.

Right now several of my dear friends are coping with significant medical and health issues, so I don't want to act as if I think stiff joints and aching muscles are in the same league with serious problems. I am well aware they are pretty trivial, and I am writing about these mostly because it kind of startles me that the stereotypes of getting older are turning out to be true.

I used to think it was some silly TV comedy thing to hear a character say they know it's going to rain when their joints start aching. Now I find out that Dylan knew what he was singing about and you really don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows - or when it's going to rain. Bad hips and shoulders take care of foul weather predictions pretty well.

This morning I was telling my Dad that I had awakened early because it was cold and rainy during the night, and I couldn't sleep anymore because most of my joints were aching pretty badly. "I guess it just comes from getting old," I told him.

There was a brief pause on the other end of the line, then he quietly said, "You ain't seen nothing yet."

When I stopped laughing, I told him I really appreciated that optimistic outlook and it gave me lots to look forward to. He switched the call over to my mother. I think he knew that, even at the age of 60 and complaining about some minor aches and pains, after a dose of hard truth from Dad a guy still needs his mother to sympathise and make him feel a little bit better.

No comments: