Tuesday, September 30, 2008

T - 1: I Flit. I Float. I Fleetly Flee. I Fly

Well, today is the last day of this part of my life. I have had a great ride at this company.

For nearly 20 years I have had the freedom to pull together creative people to build new products or manage older ones in new ways. The pace of change has been exhausting, and we have had our success because the team here has been creative, smart and dedicated. And because the owner of this global company encourages his businesses around the world to act exactly as if they were running their own business.

I never thought I would stay at any one job for five years, much less 17. But really my job here has been different every year; only my title has stayed the same.

And on the personal side, it has been nothing short of fantastic. Just consider all the places we have visited on company business - London, Tokyo, Paris, New York, Beijing, Singapore, Copenhagen, San Francisco, Toronto, Honolulu, Shanghai, Athens, Warsaw, Oslo. Oh yes, Auckland, too.

Some times when I think about starting out in Rutland, Vermont, I cannot believe that I have ended up in Sydney and that we have been welcomed as friends when we have visited such places as Toronto, Copenhagen, Budapest and Hanoi.

But of course, it is the friends closer to home who have meant the most. Some of the people who worked and laughed and argued here have meant the world to me. Some have already moved on from the company, and some are still here. I won't mention any of them because I would feel terrible to leave one out accidentally. Let's just say, if you think you're on the list, you probably are.

A while back I wrote that I was thinking about my exit music in the movie of my last day. The playlist is down to five. To make that shortlist was tough. Songs had to get past Johnny Paycheck's "Take this Job and Shove It" (my Dad's choice, although I don't really agree with the sentiment); Toby Keith's "Time to Hit the Road" and the one I really wanted to go with "Funkytown" by Lipps.

So here are the five playlist finalists with the lyrics that made me choose them. I guess you can tell by the headline of this post which one was the winner.


Back to the howling old owl in the woods
Hunting the horny back toad
Oh I've finally decided my future lies
Beyond the yellow brick road

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Lyrics by Bernie Taupin
___________________________

I got a head full of ideas
That are drivin' me insane
It's a shame the way she makes me scrub the floor
I ain't gonna work on Maggie's farm no more


Maggie's Farm
Lyrics by Bob Dylan

___________________________

Driver says, "You don't know where this bus is going?"
Old man says, "I just want it to get me through.
Hey, I'm staying on the ride, it's gonna take me somewhere."

Stay on the Ride
Lyrics by Patty Griffin

___________________________

You woke up this morning all the love has gone
Your papa never told you about right and wrong
But you're looking good, baby, I believe you're feeling fine
Born under a bad sign with a blue moon in your eyes

Woke up This Morning
Lyrics by Alabama 3

___________________________


So long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, goodbye
I leave and heave a sigh and say goodbye -- Goodbye!
I'm glad to go, I cannot tell a lie
I flit, I float, I fleetly flee, I fly


The Childrens Song
Lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein II

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Al there is to say is congratulations to a great career and a reat man. Love, Sandy

Anonymous said...

Oops? Sorry about the typos, it is very early here. It is supposed to say;
All there is to say is congratulations to a great career and a great man. Love, Sandy