Sunday, September 28, 2008

T - 3: Clothes Maketh the Man


I am not sentimental about my clothing. This makes me the polar opposite of my darling. One of my favorite party tricks is to amaze our friends by asking Linda what she wore, say, to the first day of school in her last year of high school. Some times she's not so sure about the accessories, but she's almost always able to get the basic outfit right if the day held any significance at all.

I, on the other hand, cannot remember what I wore last night. Well, that's not strictly true. It was shorts and a T-shirt. What I can't remember is which T-shirt it was. But since I only wear T's and shorts around the house, I know it was one of them.

Which is a roundabout way of getting to today's post. I realized a few days ago that as of Tuesday I don't need - and will not use - most of the clothes hanging in my closet. Oh, there will be the odd occasion when I need a necktie or a suit, but really would God have given the world Ralph Lauren if he wanted men to wear more than Polo shirts and chinos?

So now there sits the imposing pile of my business clothes in the picture up above. I've already set aside and kept in the closet more suits, blazers, trousers, dress shirts and neckties than I am ever likely to use. However, I will get very annoyed if I have to buy anything like that down the road, so I would rather save a few more than I need.

But my dilemma is what to do with the rest? My inclination is to give them to charity, but be honest with me. When have you seen a homeless person my size? And if you have, was he in desperate need of a suit and white shirt that required cuff links? If there are some really large guys looking for used clothes on eBay, I might be able to offload a few items, but I think we all know the chances are - pun intended - slim.

I suppose neckties are one size fits all, but I am pretty sure the local soup kitchen isn't going to start requiring ties for dinner just because I've given all my Fornasettis away to charity. So what to do? Everything in me cries out that it would be a terrible waste to just chuck them in the bin, and I won't do that until I think about this more.

In the end, I suppose it will be a matter of buying more plastic storage boxes and putting them in the storage bin we rent because our garage is too full to take anymore. And here we are supposed to be paring back rather than adding storage.

Oh well, at least there is one genuine benefit from all of this. By shrinking my closet space down, I have been able to give Linda the extra space. So now she will have even more room to store what will surely prove to be even more impressive memory tricks at our parties in later years.

PS This is my sister-in-law's birthday. Happy Birthday, Sandy - have a great day. Love ya.

No comments: