Monday, September 15, 2008

T - 16: The Honeymooners



Oh, how they danced on the night they were wed. Well actually, I have no idea if Norm and Red danced on that night 61 years ago today. But since I was born 9 months and 5 days after their wedding, I have always suspected they were doing more than the cha cha.

It's very difficult to write about your parents' anniversary because, unlike so many kids today, most of us in my generation weren't already around to become the flower bearers at the ceremony. However, I do know a few things about Norma and Red's wedding.

I am pretty sure they couldn't do a full-on church wedding because my mother wasn't a Catholic at the time and the Church in those years wasn't anywhere near as happy as they are now to just have people get married. I know they honeymooned at Ausable Chasm in the Adirondacks. And I know, because I have asked, that I am not really a honeymoon baby despite the timing and my feeling that it would have been ever so romantic if I were.

What I can write about is how remarkable it is that these two wonderful people have spent 61 years together. First, give them a trophy just for their endurance! They have been together more than 22,000 days. Think about that time frame. When they got married, the first passenger jet had not taken off; the first transistor radio had not been built; and Korea was still a single country. Or to make it all about me, they have been married long enough to conceive me, raise me, send me out into the world and watch me grow old and fat and - in two weeks - retired.

In 61 years there have been tough times and bad things have happened. Everyone's life happens that way. What is remarkable is that their life together has included so many more good times than bad. And by now they have gone from being the spunky young lovers in the pictures above to being two people who care for each other so deeply that they make me aware of how strong true love really is and how it ends up connecting people in profound ways that you can only guess at when you're 20 and sure yours is the greatest love ever.

I could go on, but Red has given pretty strict orders that this blog was only at its best when it was funny. So I will end up by saying, "Happy 61st, Mom and Dad. Love you both."

PS - This is also a big day for Jamie, who celebrates a significant birthday. Happy Birthday, JP.

PPS - I know this is Monday, but I am hereby declaring it a Mom and Dad Day - a Blog Holiday - and deferring any list-making until tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written about two very special people, and the smart young (soon to be retired) son they raised, who saw and appreciates the love he was surrounded with.Sandy