Monday, September 8, 2008

T - 23 (Part II): The List Keeps Getting Longer

Seventeen work days to go. This retirement thing is almost here, yet like most things you plan for a long time it is somewhat startling to realize it is really going to happen.

I remember feeling that way the day I married Linda - kind of a "Wow. After all the talking about it, it's actually happening today." That is unlike my first marriage to Mary, which was planned so quickly it was more like "Wow. What just happened?" But that's another story.

Today's story is that it is Monday, aka List Day. I know I'm whining about something I myself decided to do, but it really is a two-edged challenge I have set for myself. On the one hand, it has turned out to be incredibly difficult each week to think of five things I will do when I am retired. On the other hand, it's a little scary to think that I cannot even come up with 40 things I plan to do in the next 20+ years when I am free to do almost anything I want. So I soldier on.

Today's list are five digital talents I must develop in retirement.

1. Learn How to Sell Stuff on eBay

Why: We have too much stuff - waaaay too much. For example, our walls have little space left for pictures. Hence, the 14 or so just sitting on the floor leaning on the wall. I will be bringing another 12 home when I stop working. And those are just pictures. I will post a separate blog some day about the nearly infinite number of things we own that we have used once --- or never. Believe me - waaaaaaay too much stuff.

Major concern: Linda nods yes when I bring up the concept. Tends to not even blink when I discuss the implementation.

Solution: I think I will be selling my stuff first.

2. Learn How to Edit Video

Why: Now on our third video camera, we have never produced anything worth watching because I have never figured out video editing. Even those videos of Lily as a two-year-old get a bit long after 25 minutes. However, we have great footage of family and places, and it would be worth the effort to get them into watchable format. YouTube beckons.

Major concern: Movie making may not be my forte. I once filmed Ayres Rock from the same spot for about 30 straight minutes. It never moved once.

Solution: I think I will need to involve Linda and her stronger artistic sensibility in the finished product.

3. MYOB

Why: No, that isn't me being rude. It's an accounting package for small businesses that Linda uses in her business. Besides house cleaner and gardener, bookkeeper is to be one more of my duties as I work my way back down the career ladder.

Major concern: I don't think the Tax Office will be quite as understanding as my current company is if I forget to include some of the entries.

Solution: I had better do this before I open the bottle of white wine.

4. Learn to Play the Keyboard

Why: Quite a few years ago I bought an electronic keyboard with every intention of becoming at least adequate playing it.

Major concern: My parents had me take accordion lessons when I was younger. This means I am pretty good at songs that only require the right hand. It also means, I find it easier to play if I lie on the bench and reach around to the keys to play. However, I do look odd stretching my left hand in and out as I do it.

Solution: One-handed polkas to begin with.

5. Mobile Phone Texting

Why: I want to be able to continue to post blogs while I am travelling and without an Internet connection. Every time I log on to write one of these posts, Google offers to show me how to post from a mobile phone, so I am assuming it won't be that hard.

Major concern: Big, clumsy thumbs and fingers on the phone's tiny keypad. Add in eyes that have trouble focusing on the words on the screen.

Solution: Patience. And a pretty firm idea that anyone reading a post that starts "Wfdhfo dfh hfhejkh !!" will just assume I'm drunk.

No comments: