Monday, September 1, 2008

T - 30: Faraway Places with Strange Sounding Names

Today marks the beginning of spring. Purists know that technically spring doesn't begin for three weeks with the equinox, but here in Oz we get so excited about the change of seasons that we have moved the official start date forward.

All morning I have been thinking of Bob Geldof and how he named his children Fifi Trixiebelle, Peaches Honeyblossom and Pixie. It reminds me that Mary and I had actually agonized about whether it would be too odd a choice if we named our second son Dylan - and finally opted to make it Tom's middle name. Geldof makes me look like such a wuss.

I was thinking of him because his most famous lyrics ever were for the song, "I Don't Like Mondays." And of course the reason I was thinking about that is because today is Monday, and I have vowed to add five more things to the list of what I will do once I retire. No, at least for September, I don't like Mondays at all.

I like lists even less. If this were a weight loss or quit smoking program, I would be spending at least as much time trying to rationalize why I should forget about it rather than how to get through it. The fact that I am four paragraphs into this post and haven't even approached the list should give you an idea how much I am trying to stay away from it.

Oh well, deep breath. Give it one more go, at least. Because I have Spring Fever this week, and because I am well aware that the several million frequent flyer points Linda and I have are probably best used sooner rather than later, here are five places I want to visit after I retire.

1. The American West. Apparently there's more than LA, San Francisco and Las Vegas out that way. We haven't explored New Mexico, Colorado, the Big Sky country and they sound fantastic.
Worst thing: Dear Lord, please let the cost of fuel go back down.
Best thing: Beautiful places
2nd best thing: Most places have Embassy Suites - low rates and free happy hours!

2. Iceland. Seen it on TV, read about it. Want to check it out.
Worst thing: Apparently, it is getting trendy, and that is almost never good.
Best thing: Beautiful and unique geography
2nd best thing: If I'm doing that travel book, it's tax deductible.


3. Iguazu Falls. Haven't been to South America, really want to go. Need to narrow the itinerary down, but Iguazu Falls beckons as the top spot to see.
Worst thing: It's a 25-hour bus ride from Buenos Aires
Best thing: It's supposed to be the most magnificent waterfall in the world
2nd best thing: It was in the last Indiana Jones movie

4. Egypt. The oldest - and only remaining - Wonder of the Ancient World. How can you not want to see it?
Worst thing: Can't shake the worry about going into that region
Best thing: Once in a lifetime look at the pyramids
2nd best thing: Get to sing to Linda, "See the pyramids along the Nile. Watch the sunrise on a tropic isle. Just remember, darling, all the while you belong to me."

5. Africa. We've been three times. I would love to do just one more visit.
Worst thing: You still need shots and such for various diseases.
Best thing: If all goes according to plan, our friends Andy and Doni from Canada will join us.
2nd best thing: You can never get tired of animals on safari

No comments: